Steet Ponte Volkswagen’s Top Tips for Winter!
Winter is coming; is your vehicle ready? Following these tips can save you a lot of hassle in the long run, and can also save your life in an emergency! Follow these tips for a stress-free winter season, and give us a call with any questions or concerns (315) 736-8291.
1. Can you see? When was the last time you changed your wiper blades? Wiper blades are good for about 1 year, so make sure you get new ones before the snow flies. Snow and ice buildup is hazardous when driving!
2. Check that your 4WD is working. Typically, 4WD isn’t used in the summer months, so you’ll want to make sure the system engages and disengages easily. 4WD is beneficial in the winter months as it decreases the possibility of getting stuck. However, don’t use it as an excuse to drive faster in snowy conditions!
3. Make the switch to Snow Tires. We’re always running specials on our tires, so take us up on those offers! Snow tires make it easy to drive in inclement weather since they improve traction.
4. Check your battery and windshield wiper fluid levels. If your battery is pushing 3 years old, you will want to bring it in so we can check its’ ability to hold a charge. Also, be sure your windshield wiper fluid is full and keep an extra bottle in your trunk.
5. Fill the tank. Our rule of thumb that we live by in the winter is to make sure your gas tank is always kept at least above halfway full. Cold temperatures can cause condensation to form on the walls of an empty gas tank. Water will drip down and into the gas, which is bad news since it can cause the gas lines to freeze!
6. Time for a check-up! Get your regular oil changes and maintenance done every 5,000 miles. If your vehicle is constantly kept up to date, we very rarely see problems!
7. Keep an “Emergency Kit” in your vehicle. We like to keep a space blanket, wind-up flashlight, ice scraper, extra pair of gloves and a hat, tools to change a tire, and any extra bottles of coolant or engine oil in ours. Flares can also come in handy in case of a winter accident!